Wayne Dedicates Patrick J. Norton Recreation and Exercise Club — Celebrates 30th Anniversary
The City of Wayneâ€™s newly renovated Patrick J. Norton Recreation & Exercise Club in the Community Center was the focal point December 5th. More than 150 celebrants witnessed the dedication ceremony, honored former Mayor, City Council member and Community Center visionary, Patrick J. Norton, and toured the outstanding facilities.
Former Mayor Norton played a key role in conceiving the Community Center and the Recreation and Exercise Club (the R.E.C.) 30 years ago. Additionally, his vision and leadership helped launch several of the Cityâ€™s recreational programs.
Said Kimberly J. Alexander, Wayne Parks & Recreation Director, "We feel this new facility demonstrates the commitment the City of Wayne has to the health and wellness of this community. This new design accommodates multiple purposes and is very flexible with universal accessibility being a top priority."
"A few years ago," continued Alexander, "we began to look at the changes needed to make to the R.E.C. to better serve the population and the trends of the 21st century. As we all know, physical fitness has evolved in many directions over the past 30 years. We strived to make changes that would not only keep us competitive but also a leader in this field. Programs that serve people of all ages and needs is our goal at the Community Center. This renovation helps us reach that goal."
"Wayne residents and non-residents who haven't visited the Community Center recently will see major improvements when they come in," said Kim Alexander, Director of Wayne Parks and Recreation.
"The Center remained open and in operation throughout the project," said Alexander, "and we would like to express our appreciation for all those who tolerated the inconvenience of the construction as well as the dust it created during the past few weeks."
The upgrade makes better use of the existing space inside the 30-year-old Community Center structure, is more responsive to current recreational trends and more accessible to special needs patrons, said Alexander.
The Wayne Community Center offers a full range of recreational and health-related services. On average more than 1,000 members, both residents and non-residents, come to the Center each week.
The Community Center features include:
- An enlarged cardio room (1,600 sq. ft.) with 22 machines and a state-of-the-art cardio theater including four 42" plasma televisions.
- The wellness area (3,600 sq. ft.) was relocated to a completely accessible ground floor location, which features over 50 pieces of selectorized and free weight equipment. The area also includes the installation of two 50" plasma flat screen televisions and six 26" LCD flat screen televisions. The screens will display popular television programs and video demonstrations when needed.
- A Massage Therapy Room.
- A Personal Training office.
- Men's and women's locker room upgrades, including complete accessibility. New large locker rentals.
- Two completely renovated exercise studios upstairs, which are currently the home to Jazzercise and Elements of Exercise.
We say, "Welcome to Wayne" in all languages!